Here is a recipe for rice you can eat on its own, or as an accompaniment to other dishes. It contains no dairy, egg, gluten or shellfish products and is suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
* 500g (1lb 1½oz) brown rice
* Seeds of 1 pomegranate
* 50g (1¾oz) dried cherries
* 50g (1¾oz) dried cranberries
* 50g (1¾oz) dried apricots
* 50g (1¾oz) sultanas
* 4 tbsp orange juice
* 2 tbsp rose water
* 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
* 100g (3½oz) flaked almonds nuts, chopped
1. Combine the orange juice and rose water. Add the cherries, cranberries, apricots and sultanas and mix together well.
2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Stir in the rice. Return to the boil and stir well, cover and lower the heat to a fast simmer. Cook for 25 minutes. Drain well and leave to cool.
3. Add the dried fruit, the pomegranate and all of the liquid to the rice, and mix thoroughly. Just before serving, add the mint and almonds, then toss and serve.